8.21.2012

Random Tuesday Thoughts

Warning: Prepare yourself for a whole lot of random because that is what I have tonight :)

•  On Sunday afternoon Adam went to the YMCA to work out and left me at home alone with Adeline. Even though I spend every weekday afternoon at home with Adeline, somehow the 4-6 p.m. hour on the weekends seems so much more daunting to me. Anyways, it was raining so we couldn't be outside so I pulled out the crayons and play-doh and we stayed happily occupied for nearly an hour. What I didn't realize was that during our foray Adeline made a swipe to the side of our sectional with a red crayon. I discovered it while cleaning today and let me just say, Scotch Guard is a beautiful, beautiful thing. Worth every single penny...and to be quite honest, it was pretty inexpensive, like less than $100 inexpensive.

•  See how I manage to turn a short story into a really long one? I'm gifted like that.

•  Yesterday I had to take Adeline to the pediatrician for a well visit. After seeing her height specifically and how much she has grown in the past three months, I told our doctor that she is like Andre the Giant next to many other kids her age. The doctor laughed and told me that she respects me so much more as a mother for making that comparison. I hope she wasn't serious.

•  On a similar note, and this might be worthy of its own post, but I don't know why I even joked like that and made the comparison between Adeline and a large, large man. I think this is my own sensitivity as a mother, but sometimes I get really ticked off when the only thing people manage to remark about my daughter is how big she is. I don't mind when strangers make the comment so much, but when people who see her all the time say, "She is HUGE!" or "Gosh, she's BIG!" it bothers me. If someone says she is getting big, or she has grown, I don't have a problem with it. But somehow remarking over and over how big she is makes me feel like it is the only noticeable thing about her. And again, this is probably me being irrational, but I am afraid that someday she will come to me and be upset because she hears similar comments and thinks it means there is something not good enough about her. Maybe I need therapy. It does make me think of The Help and Abeline telling Mae Mobley "You is kind. You is smart. You is important."

•  Even though Virginia universities are in the ACC athletic conference, I kind of want to become a fan of a college team in the SEC. I know, it sounds like I am shopping for a team to fan up. However, it just feels like the competitiveness and banter of SEC college fans is so much fun. And the kids and women have the cutest game day outfits. Very important. I know.

•  We met a friend for lunch today at a local shopping mall that is "pet friendly". They have statues of dogs scattered around and Adeline was obsessed. I told Adam she is definitely on Team Daddy where her love of dogs is concerned. Someday I am going to be overruled on this one!




•  This afternoon Adeline played contentedly by herself for an hour while I did some work around the house and responded to a few e-mails. Then I realized that she had located a pacifier at some point. Really? That is all it takes to keep her content even now? It's gonna be hard to stick to my guns and restrict her to pacifiers only during naps and at bedtime with this newfound knowledge.

•  I was able to catch up with a good friend today who moved away over a year ago now. It was so good to talk to her - it was the highlight of my day. Her baby girl starts kindergarten tomorrow. I can't believe it. (Hi Chrissy! We miss you guys!)

•  Adeline is also obsessed with the cans of tomato paste in our pantry. I find them all over our downstairs each day. Weird.

•  The Today Show had concerts every morning last week. I typically have the show on in the morning. So I leave you with numerous videos of Adeline jamming to the likes of Nicki Minaj and Carrie Underwood (including a blooper).





No comments:

Post a Comment