7.16.2012

Dinner Success

I think one of the hardest things about becoming a stay at home mom has been having to feed my family. Before Adeline was born and even while I was still working full time after her birth, Adam and I ate several meals out (at a restaurant, or take-out) each week. Obviously cutting out a chunk of our annual income, we knew it would be important for me to put more meals on the table. And besides the money, in general it is healthier for us to eat meals at home. That being said, I don't enjoy cooking very much at all. It isn't that I am bad at it, it just kind of stresses me out. A lot of the meals I cook are of the casserole or crock pot variety, which isn't bad, but sometimes we just want something a little different. I also have a hard time finding the time to make a decent meal before Adeline goes to bed without a toddler hanging off of a my leg and whining.

Anyways, I pinned two new recipes on Pinterest this weekend that I thought would make an above average meal and went to work as soon as Adeline's head hit the pillow tonight. My sous chef (Adam) was a big help and by 8:15 we were enjoying the fruits of our labor. Feast your eyes on this...



Chicken breasts/thighs + butter and olive oil + garlic (yum!) + Sauvignon Blanc, chicken stock, lemon zest, thyme, capers, and bay leaves = chickeny goodness (yes, that's a technical term).

Seriously though, this really wasn't too hard to throw together and it was so nice to have something a little different. And if you don't like wine or don't drink wine, don't worry, all of the alcohol cooks off by the end. Also, I'm very sorry if you don't like white wine.

{I know you all are jealous of my mad iPhone food photography skillz. Don't hate.}

In addition to the chicken I made this yummy and easy orzo with asparagus. Adam loves orzo. I think it might be one of his love languages. Actually, I am pretty sure food in general is one of his love languages. Unfortunately for me that doesn't include baked goods - I love to bake. Go figure.

Anyways, if you are interested in the recipes, you can find them here (Braised Chicken with Lemon and Capers) and here (Creamy Orzo with Asparagus and Parmesan). Or you can follow me on Pinterest under "rachel322".

Hope you all have a great week! And just in case you're wondering, the rest of this week's menu is way less impressive.

**Update: It is now 9:38 p.m. and Adam is currently eating a bowl of Special K. What?!? What does this mean about the aforementioned dinner? He assures me it was wonderful, but that he's just so hungry for some reason.**

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, I think you and I would be great friends in real life! I struggle with the cooking issue too. I can cook, but I don't love to do it and my kids only eat a few items so I'm constantly making more than one meal anyway. But baking.. I will do that anytime. It doesn't exactly give the kiddos a balanced diet though.. The chicken looks really good. Great job!

    ReplyDelete