2.23.2013

21 Months (and 7 LONG days)

Dear Adeline,

I'm pretty sure I will end up saying this with each month and year that passes, but it truly is hard to believe that you are 21 months old already. You are almost 2!! I have fond memories of sitting in the very chair I am sitting in right now, two years ago, watching you go crazy in my belly each evening. We didn't even know you were a SHE at that point. And now you run around our lives with just as much energy.

I wanted to get this post up on time last weekend, but the past 7 days have been long ones with you due to a bout with bronchitis. We had some rough days, but thankfully you are feeling much better. So here goes...

It has been 4 months since I last wrote an "Adeline" update, but I remember mentioning last time that you were becoming a little girl more and more. And now I can fairly confidently say there is so very little baby left in you. You have changed so much even since Christmas. Most of these changes have been so enjoyable to watch and be a part of, but I can also tell we are headed into the terrible twos.

Checking out snow for the first time ever. You weren't overly impressed.

I think one of the biggest changes over the past 6 weeks has been how much more you are talking. A few weeks ago I started to make a list of all of the words and phrases you were using, and I quickly lost track. You learn new words every day. Your daddy was traveling a few weeks ago and after being away for just a few days he noticed how much more you were talking when he came home. You say "pease" and "kank you" very consistently. Unfortunately "no" has also become a frequently used word as well. A couple of weeks ago we were in the car together and I sneezed. From the backseat I heard you pipe up, "Bess you!" It made me laugh so hard. I think the other thing your daddy and I love to hear you say is your name. We have to ask you to say it, and while you can't say your full name (Adeline) yet, you chime in with "Addie Mae" - and your Mae has the sweetest southern twang to it.

You are still a relatively picky eater. I keep trying, but it is safe to say that meal times can be a source of frustration for me. And outside of going to Chick-Fil-A once a week, eating out at restaurants has become a pretty miserable experience for your daddy and me. That being said, you still love fruit in particular and would probably eat it non-stop if I let you. And it is pretty hard not to let you when you say, "More please," so nicely. Our other big obstacle with you and eating is that you HATE to any crumb or food matter on your hands or clothes. And when it happens you don't handle the situation well at all. You are such a chip off the OCD block!

I am very excited for warmer spring weather to come our way soon. We have done pretty well this winter, but I can tell that both of us are ready for a change of scenery. I think you get bored inside the house during the day, so I try to plan at least one outing a day with you.  We still go to Kindermusik together once a week and pretty soon you are going to start a class at the YMCA once a week for a month. You help me run errands and I love having a little companion. I have tried to start letting you have a bit of independence by not always putting you in your stroller or shopping cart. It definitely makes our errands last longer and you keep me on my toes because you do not like to stick close to me. I know there is only one way to help you learn though. So I will keep trying. You also love to go down the street and play at a friend's house. They have lots of fun toys and it is a good change for you.

Keeping busy...

You haven't been measured and weighed since November, but one look at you and it is clear that you are off the charts for your age. You are taller than every single one of your little friends who are the same age. You have almost completely grown out of your 2T clothing and are wearing mostly 3Ts now. I can't keep up! Your hair also keeps getting longer and thicker and you still have your curls. I know we are completely bias, but your daddy and I think you are perfectly gorgeous just the way you are.

You love your baths every night! You were very sick with bronchitis when this picture was taken. It was the first real smile you gave me all day.

I'm sure there are 100 things I will wish that I had mentioned in this post, but I will end with this: One of the greatest pleasures I think a parent of a young child experiences is "learning" their child. Someday you will tell me this isn't the correct use of the word learning, but this is what I mean...when you were a newborn it was so amazing to know that I knew exactly how you liked to be held, what would most likely make you stop crying, what would get you to giggle, and which toys you were most excited by. As you started to get older you didn't need me in the same way all the time. You could soothe yourself to sleep and you would make yourself giggle by doing something funny. Even now though, it is such a joyful experience to learn new things about you. I know where you like your head in your crib. I know how you soothe yourself with your lovey by running your hand back and forth across the tag that is stitched into the satin edge. I know which songs you like me to sing to you the best. I know exactly how you clasp your hands together as we pray together each night before bed. And the fun part is that all of these things will change over time and we have a front row seat to watch you as you continue to learn and grow.

Sleepy girl. Now how do I break your affection for those pacifiers?
You can be a real handful Adeline. You try my patience on a daily basis. You are still attached at my hip and sometimes I feel smothered by it. I wouldn't change any of it though. You are sweet to others and your whole face lights up when you smile. I will continue to do all I can to teach you to have a kind heart, a sweet spirit, and an attitude of love towards others. I thank God for you each day.

P.S. - If you ever read this and wonder why pictures of you have become fewer and poorer in quality, it is because you hate to have your picture taken. You don't stay still long enough and want to see what I am taking a picture of you. Kind of hard when you are meant to be the subject of the picture. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment