10.09.2012

Day 9: Gratefulness

Two years ago, when we found out I was finally pregnant, besides utter relief and amazement, I felt so grateful. I always knew that I would become a mother according to God's perfect timing, but I was so grateful that finally that time had arrived. Nine months later, when I gave birth to a healthy child, again, I felt very grateful.

But you know what, life moves on from those mountaintop moments and if I'm being honest, I will tell you that I can easily go through a day without feeling that gratitude. All too often, I take my child, my husband, my friends, my family, our home, our health, and so many other things for granted. And then something will happen that brings this gratitude back into perspective again. Sometimes it is a small event and sometimes it is something a little more sobering.

This past Saturday night Julee Turner, a woman who I don't know, a mother to a 10 month old baby girl, lost her husband in a single car crash. Like I said, I don't know Julee and I have never read her blog, but I learned of her story through several other women's blogs that I read. My heart breaks for Julee and her daughter Preslee.

Upon hearing of this story, once again I was reminded of how grateful I am for Adam and Adeline. I know that Adeline is too young to understand, but I know that I don't tell Adam nearly often enough how appreciative I am of the fact that he works hard to provide for our family and what a wonderful husband and daddy he is. And I don't spend nearly as much time as I ought to praying for Adam. I'm ashamed to admit that I let my own "issues" get in the way and I take for granted those people in my life that I love the most.

I know there are so many people around me who are experiencing so much hurt and fear. I have friends and family members who are courageously fighting cancer and other chronic illnesses. I know people who have recently lost parents, children, and spouses. I trust God with my whole heart, but even I find myself asking God, "Why? What is your plan in all of this?" Even though I don't now and never will have all of the answers, I don't doubt God has a plan and I continually trust that He is good and He alone can see the "big picture." That might sound weird, but all I mean is that I didn't just trust God once, but I actively trust Him each day. And sometimes I do falter, but He never does.

Many of Julee's "blog" friends are silencing their own blogs tomorrow in honor of her husband, Matt. And even though Julee and Matt are strangers to me, I will be doing the same. I'm not doing this to bring attention to myself, but because I want to spend some more intentional time tomorrow being grateful for the loves of my life and praying for them, and also praying for Julee, Preslee, and Matt's family.

Matt's funeral is tomorrow. If you have a moment, please lift this family up in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment