10.17.2012

Day 17: Adeline at 17 Months

It's Day 17 and today Adeline is 17 months old. I don't think a day goes by that Adam or I don't remark about how our baby is now a little girl. I would be lying if I didn't say that I'm having a hard time admitting to myself that the baby phase is behind us. Each stage and age has its challenges and rewards and I am trying to keep in mind how much fun we have with our girl each day (or at least most of each day...wink!)


Adeline, today you are 17 months old, big girl! I absolutely can't get over how much you have, once again, changed in the past couple of months. You are such a funny, independent little girl. You are also strong-willed. Even though we have some rough days, I can't get enough of you. Walking into your room every morning brings a smile to my face.You are so busy and I feel like there is so much I could tell you about this stage in your life. But I will try to keep this as brief as possible :)

• We haven't been to the doctor since your 15 month well visit, so I am not sure how much you weigh, but you are still off the charts in height/weight. You are one tall girl and people often think (because of your height) that you are much older than you actually are. I love your little chubbs because it is one of the last things about you that still screams "baby" to me.

• You are still a great night sleeper and you have finally settled into taking one great nap a day. We cut you back to one nap a day around the beginning of September and in just the last week you have started napping consistently for 2-2.5 hours each afternoon.

I was trying to show her how to smell the flowers and that translated into her tasting them.

• Food is still hit or miss with you. Some days you will love something and two days later you might not want to touch it. You still aren't crazy about meat and vegetables most of the time. You won't eat bananas anymore either. We don't give you sweets too often, but when we do you are a huge fan. A few weeks ago you were sick and I cut dairy out of your diet for about a week. Since then you haven't been as crazy about milk as you were before. Darn it! I wonder if that is because we accidentally bought you sweetened vanilla almond milk (oops!).

• You finally are enjoying your time in the nursery at church. It took 3 months and lots of tears, but I am so glad you are comfortable spending time in there now. You have also done pretty well in your classroom when we go to MOPS together every other week. With that being said, you still want and demand my undivided attention when we are in the same room together. I can't always give it to you, so this continues to be a source of frustration for me (and apparently for you too, ha!).

• You are starting to expand your vocabulary. You "talk" to us a lot and have much to say, but you are finally learning some real words too :) You can say:
  • Cracker (cah-cah)
  • Kitty cat (ki-cah...which yes, is oddly similar to cracker)
  • Shoes
  • Juice
  • Hi
  • Bye and Bye-Bye
  • Movie (which really just sounds like moo, but we get it)
  • Yum
  • Uh-oh! (you say this all of the time, especially when you purposefully throw or drop something)
  • Yeah
  • Baby (sounds like bye-bye)
  • You can also howl like a wolf and woof like a dog (your daddy taught you those!)


• You still sign "more" a lot and just this week you started signing "please" after weeks of me showing you and asking you to say please. We are still working on "thank you".

• You love shoes and once you spot them in your shoe basket each morning, you want a pair on your feet. Further evidence that you are a girly-girl...you FREAK OUT if you find a speck of dust or dirt on your hands or clothes. Even though you pull your bows out of your hair, you still bring them to me to put back in.

• I can't get over how much you mimic what I do. You can see me do something once, and weeks later I will notice you trying to repeat the action. For instance, a couple of weeks ago you saw me file my nails. The other day you found my nail file and were trying to do it yourself - I was pretty shocked because you had only seen me do it that once. Also, if you see me putting moisturizer on my face, you fuss until I pat my hands on your cheeks and forehead and then repeat the action. If I am unloading the dishwasher, you will often grab utensils and throw them in the utensil drawer. You also love to "talk" on my phone. You put it up to your ear, tilt your head to the side, and wedge the phone between your cheek and your shoulder and jibber-jabber away. So funny!

• You love to be around people and your little friends. You love going to Kindermusik class every week. I can also tell that you have started getting excited when you see your friends. It's been fun to recognize that change and know that you now recognize other kids who you are familiar with.

• You love to play outside and we are making the most of this beautiful weather before it gets too cold for us to be out. We take lots of walks - sometimes you are ride in your stroller or wagon, and sometimes you just want to walk or push your own little wagon. Unfortunately, you have become obsessed with walking out into the street so we have to watch you closely.

We love you so much Adeline! You make us laugh each and every day, even the roughest of days. I am so thankful that I get to spend my days with you.



No comments:

Post a Comment