10.06.2012

Days 5 & 6: Dessert and 4 Generations

Day 5:

I didn't post yesterday because it was a busy day that culminated in a late night. And by "late" I mean we had our small group from church over last night and everyone left around 10:30. Ha! We were exhausted by the time everyone had left - most likely because I stayed up until 1:00 a.m. Thursday night on a cleaning spree and Adam went hiking with a friend/coworker on Friday and after 8 miles in the mountains he was whooped too. By the way, am I the only crazy person who sometimes cleans into the wee hours simply because it is nice to be able to get things done when the house is quiet and no one is likely to interrupt? Anyone?

Anyways, the real noteworthy thing about Friday was the dessert I made for small group. Here's the thing, I don't love to cook but I love to bake. Here's the other thing, my husband is a meat and potatoes kind of guy and not so much a warm apple pie or peach cobbler kind of guy. Sigh! So really that means that our food interests are slightly incompatible. Again, sigh. It also means that I end up consuming a large percentage of the baked goods that I pull out of our oven. Queue that sigh again.

On Thursday night I asked Adam which dessert he would prefer: apple crisp (warm out of the oven) and vanilla ice cream, or a recipe I found on Pinterest for S'more Bars (basically Smores in brownie form). I'm not sure why I bothered to ask, because I knew what the answer would be. If you guessed the S'more Bars then ding, ding, ding! You guessed right.

I doubled the recipe which required 3 GIANT Hershey bars, two sticks of butter, marshmallow fluff, and a whole lot of sugar. Nice, right? Needless to say, the bars were really good, tasted just like the real deal without that charred-marshmallow-right-outta-the-fire goodness, but they were very very sweet. I think they would be great to take to a party or tailgate if you cut them up into small pieces. The good news is that my husband really liked them so I guess that counts for something. I didn't take a picture, but you can click on the link up above to get a peek.

Day 6:

We were all up and out of the door by 8:00 this morning. We headed up to Arlington to attend my cousin Elizabeth's wedding. Thankfully the trip up was a breeze and we made it in well under 2 hours - you never know what you are going to get with D.C. traffic!

Adeline cheesing it up before the wedding.
The wedding was lovely. Unfortunately Adam and I miscommunicated and when Adeline started fussing just 5 minutes in I handed her to Adam and he thought that was his queue to take her out. I just thought maybe she needed a new set of arms. So Adam ended up missing 95% of the ceremony and according to him witnessed an epic tantrum from his daughter. Oops.

We were only able to stay for a few hours, but Adeline had fun playing with my cousin's children. My dad wasn't able to attend the wedding, but it was nice that my mom got to see Adeline for a couple of hours. My parents haven't seen her since her birthday in May and won't see her again until after Christmas.

Adeline and Grandma. My mom brought a baggie with some of her old jewelry and Adeline had fun playing with that gold necklace and some bangles especially!
Adeline, Grandma, and my Aunt Marty
One of the best parts of today was that Adeline got to meet my Grandma Ruth, my maternal grandmother. The next picture isn't great. Adeline was on the go and didn't cooperate, but I am so excited to have this picture of 4 generations of beautiful women!


Living so far from my childhood home, I really don't get the opportunity to spend very much time with my family. It has been several years since I have stepped foot in my parents house (before Adeline was born). I don't see my parents, siblings, nephews and niece very often and it is even more rare that I get to see my aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandma. So while time and distance may separate us, I still have such fond memories of my family from a child - and that includes both sides of my family. I have been blessed with wonderful grandparents. I have MANY fun memories of visits with my cousins and the things we did together as children. We may talk infrequently, but I love my family and it is amazing to see the different paths and directions in which God has taken each of us and our families.

This was the scene about 20 minutes after we left. Unfortunately this scene only lasted about 25 minutes. Sweet girl.


And finally, I snapped these pictures tonight after Adeline had her bath and was getting ready to go to bed. Adam was trying to have a "moment" out on the deck and she wanted him to come inside :)


Gotta love Elmo's eyes on her diaper peeking out from her pajama bottoms!

Time to run...Adam and I are knee deep in season 2 of "Friday Night Lights". So good!

No comments:

Post a Comment