7.22.2012

Batter Up!

This afternoon we headed to the baseball diamond with about 100 other people from our church for a Richmond Flying Squirrels baseball game. Yep, you heard me correctly, the Flying Squirrels. Back in 2009 before the team came to Richmond, the city held a naming contest and here were the 5 finalists:
  • Richmond Flying Squirrels
  • Richmond Flatheads
  • Richmond Hambones
  • Richmond Rhinos
  • Richmond Rock Hoppers
I'm not sure what Rhinos have to do with Richmond. Rock Hoppers make at least a little sense (see this post from Father's Day). I'm pretty sure there are no 8 year old boys out there who are hoping to grow up to be a Flathead or Hambone one day while playing baseball. And for the record, I have never seen a flying squirrel in the RVA area. All formalities I guess. Richmond has enthusiastically embraced "Nutsy" the Flying Squirrel.

Anyways...I digress...

Unfortunately (but fortunately), Adeline took a long nap this afternoon so we missed 99% of the tailgate beforehand, but we did get there in time for the start of the game. I think one of the hardest things about being a parent to a young child is feeling like you consistently miss out on certain opportunities to spend time with some of your friends. I love our church family so much so I was pretty bummed to miss the tailgate, but excited we were able to make it out at all. 

This was the first time Adeline has been to any major sporting event and I'm pretty positive she had no idea what was going on. And while she had a hard time sitting still for a long period of time, we made several trips up to the concession and gift shop areas and she really did great overall. She loved the music (shocker) and started bopping her arms the second I opened her car door and she heard it playing over the loud speakers.

Much to our surprise, she also loved the two "mascots" she saw. I took her to the concession stand once and she saw someone dressed up as a can of collard greens (??? - only in the South) and just kept waving and laughing. And then with Adam she saw a giant acorn mascot and he said she kept blowing kisses to him. Hilarious. Wish I had gotten pictures.

Oh, and at one point during the game I started screaming like a crazy woman because something flew down Adeline's shirt. I had heard it buzzing and saw it briefly and it looked like a wasp. Turns out it was a cicada. I felt like a lunatic. Nothing like making a fool of yourself in front of your friends and total strangers alike. Adam said he had seen one earlier in the evening and thought it was the same thing.

I hope you all had a great weekend. While being out and about with a little one can be challenging and somewhat sacrificial (I didn't get a whole lot of visiting in at the ballpark), I really am so thankful that we can enjoy evenings like this as a family.

And now for the photo dump...

 

 

{BTW - I look disgusting in this picture, but I have decided if I am going to blog with honesty, it is going to involve unflattering pictures of myself. Just keeping it real.}

{Sharing "Squirrel Fries" with her buddy Jack. I'm glad Jack liked them because she wasn't too impressed.}

{Singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame!" with Daddy}


***If anyone out there reads this blog and understands how Blogher works, would you mind DMing me? That is if you don't mind sharing your experiences with it. I'm just curious. Thanks!!***

No comments:

Post a Comment